I met Richard Harvell, owner of Oak Hill Angus at the Homegrown Alabama Farmers Market in Tuscaloosa a few days ago. Mr. Harvell raises grassfed, antibiotic- and hormone-free Black Angus cattle at his family-owned farm in Eutaw, Alabama.
He didn’t have any steaks that day, so I bought two packs of ground round and a pack of ground chuck. The beef is all USDA Inspected, of course. At $2.79 – $2.99 per pound, Mr. Harvell’s prices for grassfed ground round, chuck and regular ground beef are on par with the price for the industrial-raised beef.
As I’ve posted before, I don’t eat meat every day. I might have some type of meat once or twice a week, at most. But when I eat meat, I want it to be free of growth hormones and antibiotics, ideally grassfed. I’m even happier when it’s raised locally. In the past year, it’s become increasingly easy to buy grassfed, hormone and antibiotic-free beef raised and processed within 100 miles of where I live.
It’s so nice to be able to meet the cattlemen (so far, they’ve all been men here) who raise cattle in an environmentally-sustainable way. I get to purchase healthier beef and the satisfaction of knowing I’m contributing (in a small but meaningful way) to supporting family farms and ranches.
We create the society and culture we want to live in by the choices we make every day, in the products we choose to purchase and the foods we choose to eat.
You can purchase Black Angus Beef raised by Oak Hill Angus & Richard Havell here:
- Homegrown Alabama Farmers Market on The University of Alabama campus on Thursdays, 3-6 pm.
- Tuscaloosa Farmers Market, Downtown on Jack Warner Parkway (down the hill near the river, on what used to be known as River Road) on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 6 am – Noon
- Or contact Mr. Harvell via email at blackangusbeef -at- aol.com or on Facebook
Post-Script: In 4th grade, I won a 4H Club public speaking contest for my community. The topic: “Aberdeen Angus Cattle.” We had a herd of Black Angus cattle on our farm at the time.
- Health Benefits of Grassfed Products
- The Health Benefits of Grassfed Beef
- Consumer Reports on Grassfed Beef
- Switching to Grassfed Beef by Tara Parker Pope, New York Times (you’ll find avlink here to pdf of a recent scientific study published in Nutrition Journal)